Sexual Abuse Attorney in Kansas City, Missouri
Nursing homes are expected to be a place of peace for elderly people and those who need help with daily activities. When you place a beloved relative in a nursing home, you have a right to expect that your loved one will be given quality care and treated with respect. Your family trusts the nursing home staff to provide the comforts of a home.
However, the inescapable reality is that nursing home residents sometimes become victims of sexual abuse. Suppose the nursing home fails to uphold that trust, and an elderly resident suffers neglect and sexual abuse. In that case, it is always wise to consult a reliable Missouri nursing home abuse lawyer to learn about your available legal options.
Why Do I Need a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Kansas City?
Being sexually assaulted and molested is one of the most painful experiences. It is difficult to imagine why someone would sexually abuse an elderly person or a nursing home patient. Some people are unaware that elder abuse happens and that nursing homes can be held accountable for it.
If you suspect that one of your parents or a loved one is being sexually abused, it is in your best interest to seek the legal advice of our credible Kansas City sexual abuse lawyer as soon as possible.
At Ricket Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of nursing home abuse cases and medical malpractice. We carefully determine and pursue a personalized legal strategy for you while helping you make informed decisions throughout the legal process. We will act immediately to intervene and make sure your loved one is safe in their environment and is being provided proper care.
Contact our law firm now and schedule an initial consultation to discuss your legal needs.
What is Elder Sexual Abuse?
Nursing home abuse can occur when a staff member intentionally causes an elderly resident to suffer harm. This harm can occur in different ways. Sexual abuse is considered one of the most common forms of nursing home abuse. For survivors to be adequately protected and represented, you need a knowledgeable sexual abuse attorney in Kansas City who has experience handling these kinds of cases and can guide you on the best course of action.
Sex abuse of the elderly in a nursing home occurs when a perpetrator engages in unwanted and non-consensual sexual contact. Elder sexual abuse can include the following:
- Sexual contact or penetration without the victim’s consent
- Sexual contact with an elderly person who is confused or unable to give consent
- Forcing an elderly person to witness sexual acts
- Sexually photographing a person without that person’s consent
- Showing nursing home residents pornography without their consent and approval
- Coercion of sexual activity under threat of withholding care or assistance, such as food or medication
- Forced nudity or undressing for non-medical reasons
What are the Warning Signs of Sexual Abuse?
Without physical signs or if your loved one is an unreliable source due to a mental condition, it can be difficult to detect elder sexual abuse. A family member who believes a loved one is a victim must pay close attention to evidence and subtle signs of sex abuse.
If you suspect sexual abuse of an elderly loved one, you should report the nursing home and consult with a competent Kansas City sexual abuse lawyer as soon as possible. Once you make a report, it will trigger an investigation to assess whether your loved one is in immediate danger of further harm and the nature and extent of the sex offense.
Warning signs that sexual abuse may be occurring might include:
- Diagnosis of sexually transmitted diseases (STD)
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Stained or torn clothing or bedding
- Bruises, abrasions, or injuries around private areas, such as the breasts, genital area, and inner thighs
- Sudden and unexplained difficulty walking or sitting
- Significant and unexplained changes in behavior
- Flashbacks or other trauma reactions
- Depression, crying spells, or suicidal ideation
- Difficulty sleeping
- Fear of being left alone
- Avoidance of touch or physical closeness
- Resistance to medical examinations
- Unusual attention-seeking, aggressive, or delinquent behaviors
- Fear of being taken to the place where the sexual abuse is occurring
- Refusal to participate in activities or engage with staff, or avoidance of social interaction
Why Are Nursing Home Residents Vulnerable to Sexual Abuse?
Sexual offenders and predators are usually attracted to vulnerable individuals. Indeed, elderly residents of nursing homes are vulnerable to sexual manipulation, coercion, and assault. Sexual abuse is often committed against patients with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other forms of memory impairment. Because these patients are often confused, the offender assumes that no one will believe their complaints.
Perpetrators who choose to assault elderly nursing home residents do so for the following reasons:
- They may fear retribution by nursing home employees if they report the abuse.
- They are easy targets because they generally are unable to fight back.
- They may fear being isolated from friends and family if they report the abuse.
- They are less likely to report the assault due to shame or physical or mental infirmities that prevent them from being able to report
- Even if they report the assault, they are less likely to be believed because they suffer from dementia or hallucinations.
Many risk factors are common in the aging process that makes older persons likely to be victims of sexual assault. The chances of sexual abuse are incredibly high for elderly residents with no family members or friends who visit them regularly and can observe their condition and report suspected abuse or neglect.
If you or a loved one has been sexually abused, it is crucial to seek legal advice from a qualified Kansas City sexual abuse lawyer who can help you fight to hold the parties responsible for the abuse accountable for their actions.
Call our Experienced Kansas City Sexual Abuse Lawyer Now!
A nursing home is supposed to be the safest place for those unable to care for themselves. Unfortunately, that reassurance isn’t guaranteed. There are times when nursing home staff take advantage of elderly residents. Sexual abuse in nursing homes is a sad reality for those who rely on the care of others for their long-term personal and medical needs.
If you suspect your loved one may suffer sexual abuse in a nursing home, take immediate steps to ensure their safety. Our seasoned Kansas City sexual abuse lawyers at Ricket Law Firm can help you seek justice for your loved one and hold negligent nursing home facilities accountable for their actions.
In addition to the criminal charges brought against the perpetrators, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the damages incurred. Exploring your options for legal recourse with our nursing home abuse law firm will allow you to make the right decisions for yourself and your family. We have extensive experience providing legal representation to numerous victims of nursing home sexual abuse in and around Kansas City.
Take the first step towards achieving justice for the abuse that your loved one has suffered while in a nursing home. You and your family deserve guidance and support when you feel helpless and powerless. Call us now and schedule an initial consultation.